Wednesday, November 16, 2005

A Sunny Morning in Arivaca

Today as always is a beautiful and sunny day in paradise. It has been up in the 80s during the day recently. The sky is clear and I can see for miles. There are no cars, buildings or riff raff to spoil the majesty of God's creation here. It almost makes up for most of the rest of the world being such a cesspit.

Today I am going to finish up the batch of six job applications I started yesterday. I have three done and should finish them all in a couple of hours. Unfortunately, two of them require a statement of teaching philosophy. I at one time wrote one, but evidently I did it on the SOAS mainframe. Any copies I might have had elsewhere are nowhere to be found. It probably needed to be rewritten anyways.

By the end of the week I want to get all eleven job applications I have finished. I also want to get a final version of my cotton paper finished. I don't have anything else that has to be done this week. It will give me some time to catch up on my reading.

4 comments:

michael the tubthumper said...

job applications are the most boring spirit crushing pieces of shit. i hate them.

J. Otto Pohl said...

Michael: I agree with you. Applications for US lecturer positions are the worst. They ask for over 50 pages of documentation each. They want a CV, transcripts, syllabi, teaching philosophy, writing sample and hree letters of recommendation. I wish they would just ask for the CV then make the first cull before asking for more stuff. It would save me alot of time and postage.

michael the tubthumper said...

i think we are in the same position job-wise. i think i want out of academia now though - not in- see 'academia nuts' in the archives in my blog

J. Otto Pohl said...

Michael: Thanks alot for the reference to "Academia Nuts." I went and read it and agree with most of it. I still think that British Universities overall are alot more open minded than US ones. I was allowed to do what I wanted in terms of research when I did the Ph.D. at SOAS. But, I have noticed some disturbing imports of American trends into the UK educational system.