Saturday, June 09, 2007

Victims of Communism Memorial

The Victims of Communism Memorial is set to be unveiled in Washington DC on 12 June 2007. For more information you can go to the official web site. The memorial is intended to honor all the victims of communist repression. This is a very large number of people from a great many countries. I can not begin to even outline the scale of this terror in a single blog post. But, below I have listed the nationalities deported in their virtual entirety by the Soviet government from their homelands to distant areas of the USSR with poor living conditions. In total they numbered nearly 2,000,000 people. Over 500,000 of them or more than one in four perished from the harsh conditions of the deportation and exile.

1. Russian-Koreans 1937

2. Russian-Germans 1941

3. Russian-Finns 1941

4. Karachais 1943

5. Kalmyks 1943

6. Chechens 1944

7. Ingush 1944

8. Balkars 1944

9. Crimean Tatars 1944

10. Meskhetian Turks 1944

2 comments:

Cassandra Clifford said...

I am so glad to see this...it is a major milestone and long overdue. I cannot make the dedication, but hope to get down there for the round table discussion. I will let you know how it goes.

Cassie

J. Otto Pohl said...

Cassie:

Thanks, I look forward to hearing about it. If you do make it give my regards to Tunne Kelam. He is the only person on the round table I know personally.