Monday, May 26, 2008

Nationalism, Race and Ethnicity

Today I am trying to work on my syllabus for my Nationalism, Race and Ethnicity course. I would like to stress the development of ethnic categories into national and racial ones in this class. So I will be pointing to case studies where ethnic categories became politicized into national ones and then biologized into racial ones. I am still looking for reading material to assign and would greatly appreciate any suggestions. Below I have listed a couple of the pieces I will definitely be using in the class.

Francine Hirsch, "Race without the Practice of Racial Politics," Slavic Review, vol. 61, no. 1 (Spring 2002), pp. 30-43.

Alaina Lemon, "Without a 'Concept'? Race as Discursive Practice," Slavic Review, vol. 61, no.1 (Spring 2002), pp. 54-61.

Nadim Raouhana and As'ad Ghanem, "The Crises of Minorities in Ethnic States: The Case of Palestinian Citizens in Israel," International Journal of Middle East Studies, vol. 30, no. 3 (August 1998), pp. 321-346.

Amir Weiner, "Nothing but Certainty," Slavic Review, vol. 61, no. 1 (Spring 2002), pp. 44-53.

Eric D. Weitz, "Racial Politics without the Concept of Race: Reevaluating Soviet Ethnic and National Purges," Slavic Review, vol. 61, no. 1 (Spring 2002), pp. 1-29.

Eric D. Weitz, "On Certainties and Ambivalencies: Reply to My Critics," Slavic Review, vol. 61, no. 1 (Spring 2002), pp. 62-65.

Oren Yifachel, "'Ethnocracy' and Its Discontents: Minorities, Protests, and the Israeli Polity," Critical Inquiry, vol. 26, no. 4 (Summer 2000), pp. 725-756.

No comments: