Saturday, February 25, 2012

Publishing norms?

I have now finished sending off my paper on cotton in German Togoland. It is my second publication dealing at least in part with an African subject. Since I have started working at the University of Ghana a year ago I have had one peer reviewed journal article and one book chapter accepted for publication. The journal article is available online now at SpringerLink, but I do not know when the print version will be out. I also noticed that six encyclopedia articles for three different volumes that I wrote before coming here were published last semester. That gives me eight small publications this academic year. I am not sure what the average is for most history lecturers in the world. I suspect at US universities it might be much, much, higher, but I do not really know. I would, however, like to know how I rank in terms of productivity compared to the average starting lecturer in the US or Europe. Can anybody give me an idea how much a starting assistant professor publishes each year at a typical US institution of higher learning? Am I way behind the US and European norms for publishing?

1 comment:

Leo Tolstoy said...

It really depends on the institution. Occidental is oriented toward teaching, and so one publication every couple of years would be enough to get you tenure. At a research institution like USC, there is a much higher expectation of publication, but I really don't know if there's a "norm" or not. Based on my experience, I'd say your output is relatively high for a non-research institution.