Friday, November 16, 2012

Resurrection

The semester is almost over now. I had a four hour meeting this morning and now all I have left to do is give final exams. Part of the meeting was our end of the semester departmental meeting. It will not be the last one, but before I came here the department was close to death due to a lack of faculty. Since then our department head has literally rebuilt the History Department here and recently won an award from the university for this achievement. When I first came here as the first new faculty member in this resurrection there were only two full time permanent history lecturers. Now there are seven. The difference the extra four faculty make in the department is incredible. Through great effort the head of our department quite literally resurrected the history department from near death. I am proud to have been part of that process and maybe somewhere in a footnote to a work of history in the future it will be noted that I was the first new faculty member to arrive at Legon in this resurrection, a small, but important step in the development of Africa.

No comments: