Tuesday, August 19, 2014

I got this comment on an older blog post yesterday

Otto,
I am glad to see that an accomplished academic is still giving light to the Soviet deportation of minority groups. Too little is known about Stalinist atrocities in the west. I have gathered as much information about the Kalmyk deportations as I could that was published in English. 
I am a Kalmyk born in Germany from the refugees of the revolution that escaped into Eastern Europe and emigrated to the US in 1951 at the age of six.
The true stories of our travels and travails are few as many of the elders hid their roles during WWII to be able to emigrate to the US and have since died off.
Please keep up your blog and publications. Your course syllabi and notes have been very useful to me. 
Thank You,Basan Nembirkow

No comments: